My first big project at Nokia was leading the design of a new tool for monitoring security in the telecommunications network. In this work I collaborated with another Interaction Designer. As the product was still in development at the time of writing this case study, I needed to redact details in the images.
Kick-off and stakeholder research
To initiate the project, we first wanted to learn more about the goals and challenges for the product, as well as get some insight about what to expect in our upcoming user research. To do so, we spoke to about 30 people around the company in various roles including product management and solutions sales. We then synthesized all of the data we had collected using an affinity diagram.
After relaying our findings back to the stakeholders, we used mind mapping to help us plan our user research interview guides.
User research
We were really lucky in that we were able to actually travel to eight different countries and interview about 40 potential users of the product, as well as speaking to a handful of additional stakeholders we met along the way. When we returned from our travels we again synthesized the data with an affinity diagram.
Next we identified the personas we had discovered. It helped to have the photos of all the people we had talked to right on the wall. Again, we reported everything back to the stakeholders for their feedback.
Personas and scenarios
In order to identify our personas, we used a technique similar to affinity diagramming with the photos we had taken of our interviewees. We gradually took what we had learned about each group of people and used it to develop our key personas.
Our focus was each personas' goals: what they really hoped to accomplish in their work, from a high-level rather than task-oriented perspective.
Writing scenarios then came surprisingly easily. We had our personas displayed on the wall and simply focused on their goals and pain points. How could we help them meet their goals and ease their pain points?
We started out with a list of situations in which the product could help, then iterated until they magically turned into a beautiful set of scenarios. Below are examples of how we shared these scenarios, although I've replaced all of the actual text.
Design exploration + framework
After revising the scenarios based on input from stakeholders, we got into the actual design. We started out with an exploration period, looking at competitors, related tools, and design patterns in general (for instance, investigating what makes a great dashboard). We then turned to the whiteboard, listing the functionality needs and data objects that we could identify in our scenarios. After that we began to draw.
We started out by considering different layout and navigation options, gradually developing our own framework. Once we had things pretty well figured out on the whiteboard, we moved to paper.
Lo-fi prototype
From our framework, we moved into the details of the scenarios we had defined for the product. We created wireframes that could be clicked through to tell each story in its entirety. (Sorry about all the black boxes...)
We subsequently translated these wireframes into detailed user interface designs using the Nokia visual language.

More like this...

Back to Top